Another busy week checked off in 5th grade! Here are a few highlights:
* We've finished up a few projects for Science and Math. Models of particles within a solid, liquid, and gas are on display in the hall. And Snoopy is living in a forest of factor trees from math in the back of our classroom.
* Our Baptism wall is well decorated and now labeled with the sacramentals and vocab words we've located in your photos! (See below!)
* We "field tripped" down to the church to get an up-close peek at the baptismal font, blessed oils, and other various items.
* Our Current Events are THRIVING this week! Man, we really focused on Science with our news: volcanos, bears, Mars exploration, giant penguins, dinosaurs, monarchs, ETC!
* In Science class, students decided on tests to perform on sealed boxes with mystery items inside to attempt to discover the item's properties. We then made predictions based on our findings. I've left the class in suspense: we'll get to open the boxes next week!
* Book It is off to a great start! Students should be doing their best to track minutes read and mark these on the orange October calendars. By the end of next week, I'll have the Book Report assignment ready for them.
* Finally, today, we discussed Fire Safety/Prevention Week. Since we can't have the firefighters in for an assembly yet, I brought the topic into the classroom today. We created a journal entry about it and completed a few activities. This weekend's "HW" is all about smoke detectors, planning a meeting place, and doing a fire drill at home.
I'm looking forward to meeting with many of you tomorrow. I'll have the most recent test packet to review as well as their journal so you can peruse some of your child's thoughts. If you have time to complete your "Parent HW", please bring that along as well. Feel free to sneak a peek in their locker and desk, I told the class to make them beautiful to show off to you.
Have a great long weekend! God Bless You!
Welcome to Fifth Grade!
My name is Mrs. Lesley Maurer and I am the 5th grade teacher. This is my 14th year teaching in Catholic schools and my 12th year here at SJS.
Email Mrs. Maurer
Monday - Music
Tuesday - Technology
Thursday - Gym & Spanish
Friday - Art